Okay, well that's nerve wracking to know that
any word I type could potentially be shared across the pulpit at the 2nd
ward. but I'm just going to try and write my letters like I would
normally. Pressure is on. Thanks for the warning haha.
Sounds like the family and second ward are very
involved with missionary work right now. Thanks for all your
support. It really makes all the difference when missionaries feel like
they have support. Without it we are entirely useless. So excited for
Issaka :] Way to go on eating meat! Big steps! Woo-hoo!
Hopefully I will get an invite from Natalia and Aaron
this week too. Please PLEASE take lots of pictures. It really hurts
knowing I can't be there for her wedding. Or Aarons wedding. And the fact
that they are marrying each other just adds a hundred more "hurts" and
"PLEASES" to those statements.
Umm, please do not throw the typewriter away. I want
to have a stab at it too :] Even if it is for just a letter or two. Knowing our family we will find many uses for fun stuff like that.
Sounds like terrill is keeping the family laughing! Thanks for the laugh Terrill, I too enjoyed your funny one liners even if i have to imagine
your voice myself. Keep up the good work running you two boys! (and Mom
for that matter!) Boys will you keep running over the winter to stay in
shape? How does that work? and Terrill are you doing TRACK?!
Well autumn is rolling in and the weather is not as
bright and sadly my emotions of this past week have reflected it. You
know at the beginning of the rollercoaster you start climbing and you
are all excited and pumped for the ride cause you know its going to be
awesome! You have this huge smile on your face cause you know the ride
is always crazy yet worth it. And with every click of the rollercoaster,
as it gets farther and farther from the comforting ground, your
excitement and fire doubles. Well its sad to see it go, but time ticks
and its sad to see that part of the mission was past. This week the ups
and downs and all-arounds with wind blowing in your hair at 100 miles
an hour kicked in. WELCOME TO THE MISSION :]
Now luckily I've ridden many rollercoasters in my life and still
have a strong passion for them. Your mind goes crazy, but as you try
walking toward the exit sign in a straight line you realize that while
that was the craziest thing ever, you also want to hop back in line and do
it all over again. So while you get jerked all around, don't know which
way is up, and there are moments you think you're not quite strapped in
tight enough, you still find it all so thrilling and glad you bought a
ticket. Well my friends and family the bumps and jumps and loopty-loops
are crazy and now I know exactly what everyone talks about when they try
to describe missions. But while your hearts wants to leap out of your
chest for most of the ride, you love the experience and it makes it all
worth it.
So that's about how I describe my week, I don't
know how to go into much detail. I think its more the emotions that fly
in every direction rather than the actual events.
Let
me tell you the story of Sandra though. Sandra is Ramiro's mother. Now
she is not really his mother. But shes more or less adopted him into her
family. When we first went to visit Ramiro, he was not home but had a
wonderful chat with his mom. When we mentioned we were missionaries she
got real wide eyes and a lot more quiet. Upon returning we bonded so
close with her, but she asked us not to talk religion in her home. We
made plans to teach Ramiro elsewhere. But on our third visit, as we got
out of the car, she approaches us and tells us to stay she WANTS TO JOIN
TOO!! It was a miracle and one of the most amazing lessons and night of
my life. I don't know if I have ever been more happy in my life. She is a
gem and I have grown to love her so much. The thing is tho'... she's hearing
so we need to pass her off to English Elders. Its too impossible to teach
ASL and English at the same time when they have completely different
needs. I love the both of them so much tho!
We taught so many lessons this week and have a hand
full of investigators which NEVER happens in the deaf branch. Our asl
work is booming and the Lord is blessing us with so much success. We had
the highest number of goals reached and surpassed for the district this
week! And we have 4 progressing investigators! That is unheard of in
deaf work. When I came at the beginning of the transfer we had zero. The
lord is blessing us so much!
One of the hardest things about missionary work is
seeing others (especially those you love so dearly) know the truth yet
chose to ignore it. I don't quite understand why yet. I'm not sure if its
just lack of knowledge or understanding about how it all fits together
and why its so important. I just don't know why someone can intentionally
choose bad over good. Maybe its patience. I don't know. But its so
frustrating! Especially when there is nothing you can do to help. You
pour your soul out and while they listen and understand they don't seem to
regard it as something special or that it applies to them.
ASL work has its own dynamics like any other
different culture. Its very unique and so very hard to explain. Maybe I
will have at it one of these times... It will help you understand how
serving ASL is unlike any other mission. Especially when so very few
people understand.
Anyways...
my time is up.
I
continue to love this gospel so very much! i am so grateful that the
lord has blessed me with so much knowledge and truth. The atonement of
Jesus Christ is so very real and is the most real power that exists and
we all have access to! Riding the Rollercoaster is such a thrill and Iam
so grateful for the opportunity to have a place and empty seat on the
ride.
Much love from your daughter, sister, aunt, cousin, niece, granddaughter, and dear friend.
I am so lucky to have you all.
Sister Oliphant
No comments:
Post a Comment